Dressing your Plus Size figure sometimes has its challenges. You run to the mall or get on-line to find something stylish and fashionable. You start browsing through the stores and you end up finding yourself looking at things and you think to yourself: 1. “Why in the world would a retailer make something like that?” and 2. “How would I even wear this?” Too often, retailers design completely impractical skirts, tops, and dresses for women to purchase and wear. In order to know what to look for and purchase in the stores, you can use a short list of fashion tips to find clothing that looks good on you and you feel good wearing.
No two women have the same body type which makes following a set of fashion tips sometimes complicated. What works on one woman may not work on another. All women come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Here are a few fundamental fashion tips for dressing a plus size figure.
- Do not get hung up on size. Women’s wear is not designed like men’s wear. Men’s wear has a standard form of sizing and measurements. With women’s clothing, the manufacturer’s fit and size varies constantly, which I find rather annoying. You need to try on a variety of sizes and see what works best for you. While you may wear a size 18 at one store, you may need a size 16W at another. Do not let a number on a tag determine your emotions or how you feel about yourself. It is just a number that some man in an office made up–it is not who you are.
- Do not wear clothing that is too tight. You need to purchase and wear clothing that skims your body, not hugs it. When clothing is too tight, too many bumps show and the wrong parts are emphasized. When you wear clothing that fits your body, you look in proportion and comfortable.
- Do not wear clothing that is too loose. Often times, plus sized women want to hide themselves so they wear tent-like clothing. Tent-like clothing are styles that have a ton of fabric–way too much fabric. When too much fabric is present, you can look frumpy and out of style.
- Avoid fussy fabrics. Fussy fabrics would include slinky fabrics that cling to everything, fabrics that will not stay tucked or in place. You want to look for clean and classic designs that will give you an elegant and chic style.
- Camouflage those heavier parts. You need to recognized your problem areas and disguise them. Color and patterns are amazing tools to help camouflage our less favorite areas. Dark colors and solid patterns will help hide your problem areas and light bright colors and bold prints will highlight your best areas.
- Accessorize to scale. Your scarves, purses, belts, jewelry and shoes should be sized in portion to your body. You should never carry a purse that is too small. Even a slight heel on a shoe can be very slenderizing. Scarves and jewelry should be longer to help elongate the body. If you waist is smaller, your belt should emphases your smaller waist. If your waist is larger than the rest of your body, your belt should hang lower on your hips. Your body type will determine how you should wear a belt. Not sure of what type of body that you have? CLICK HERE for to our blog post on how to determine your body type and what types of clothing best fits your body type.
- Take a trusted girl-friend shopping with you for a second opinion. This is probably the most fun tip of all. When you are out shopping, take a trusted girl-friend with you for a second opinion. There is nothing like an honest friend. Ask her to tell you the truth on whether something looks good on you or not. You will love and appreciate her in the end. And then you can go to lunch together when you are done!
Find clothing that fits and flatters can be challenging but is doable. Shopping should be fun, not a chore. With just a few tips and tricks, you can look stylish and fashionable in no time and still have fun at the same time. What fashion tips do you use while shopping? Please share with us in the comment section below.