In our kitchen, drawer space is prime real estate. There are only 4 drawers in our kitchen and it is difficult to keep everything organized. With five people in and out constantly, rarely do things get put back where they belong and things have gotten a little messy in our kitchen.
I have be wanting to organize the kitchen drawers for a while and this week, I was finally able to get to it. In our four drawers, we keep: dinner ware, kitchen towels, foil/plastic wrap/storage bags, and then the final drawer has turned into the catch all and is the biggest problem.
I shopped around for drawer organizers and found the best deal and in my opinion, the best products at The Family Dollar. They carried several different shapes and sizes of drawer organizers for $1.00 each. I took several of the various sized containers and did a couple of different layouts right there in the store to determined which sizes I needed. I would recommend taking your drawer measurements with you when you shop for the organizers. I had to guess on my drawer measurements and ended up going back to the store for a few additional containers.
Now, I was ready to conquer my kitchen drawer mess! Just like in cleaning out a closet, there are a couple of easy steps to follow. This whole process took me about 30 minutes total for two drawers. The other two drawers were in good shape and didn’t need much straighten up. Check out my before and after pictures. The improvements are huge and only took a small part of my day. This is very doable even with a busy lifestyle.
Just follow these simple 7 steps and your kitchen drawers will be organized in no time!
- Empty the entire drawer. I just took the drawer out and placed everything on the counter.
- Clean the inside of the drawer with some hand wipes or damp cloth
- Sort through all of the items from the drawer and make three piles. Pile #1 will be items that you want. Pile #2 will be mismatched stuff. Pile #3 will be items that are broken/no longer useful/you no longer want it.
- Throw Pile #3 in the trash. I didn’t hesitate on what I was throwing away. It I didn’t need it, it was gone. I didn’t want any extra items to deal with.
- Place your new organizing containers into your drawer in your desired layout.
- Take Pile #1 items and organize them into the drawer.
- Take Pile #2 of the mismatched items and find their mate. For some reason, we had about 12 plastic lids in the drawer?? The plastic bottles were in the cupboard and I ended up with about 5 unmatched lids. These went into the trash. I put all of the plastic lids in another container in the cupboard.
My new drawer organizers worked out great!! I was able to completely organized two messy drawers in about 30 minutes and hopefully, they will stay organized in the future. Only time will tell!! These organizers will also work great in bathrooms, garages, bedrooms–anywhere you have a messy drawer.
Do you have any kitchen organizing tips to share? Please tell us in the comment section below.