You are in your 40’s and you are fabulous! The kids can finally do a few things on their own and even better, they can do a few things for you which is awesome! You are smarter, wiser and more confident than ever. You know where you are going and how you are going to get there. You have got it all together and want to keep it that way.
Taking care of ourselves in our 40’s is a little bit different than when we were in our 20’s and 30’s. Things begin to sag and our bodies start going through changes that are new and different. Alas, we begin our battle with time. While time will keep marching on, there are a few things we can do to help us stay at our best.
Here are 10 tips for staying beautiful and healthy after 40.
- Take a daily multi-vitamin. For many of us, our American diet is lacking in important vitamins and nutrients. A daily multi-vitamin will help compensate for that. I personally can’t stand taking those huge pills so I found some great gummy vitamins that I like and take instead. I buy the generic store brands at either Walmart or Target and take them faithfully. My daughters are even willing to take them so I will keep on buying them. I have even found a joint strengthening chew that also works well.
- Exercise daily. It is vitally important that you has some form of daily exercise. Whether it is a walk in the park or a class at the YMCA, you need to get up and get moving every single day. “Move it or lose it” the old saying goes. You need also include some form of strength training in your daily exercise routine. As we age, our muscle mass decreases. The only way to combat this is to have a weight strengthening routine. Now you do not have to go in the gym and bench press 200 lbs with the guys. There are lots of videos on You Tube from simple to difficult for strength training–find a few you like and work them into your daily routine.
- Develop a healthy diet. Unfortunately, we all can’t eat those milk shakes and fries anymore. What we eat makes us who we are on the inside and out. Try drinking more water and incorporating a few more vegetables into your diet. Just a few simple changes can give you some great results.
- Adjust your wardrobe. Women in their 40’s shouldn’t be wearing what women in their 20’s wear. Somewhere between a mini skirt and prairie skirt is where you want to be. Within that window, it a lot of room for personal style. All because they sell that tank top and mini skirt in your size, doesn’t mean you should wear it. You want to buy clothes that fit you well and make you feel good all at the same time. Not sure about what clothing that you should have in your closet? CLICK HERE to find what types of clothing you should have in your closet.
- Know your numbers and family history. Take a trip to your family doctor and find out your iron levels, blood counts, cholesterol numbers, etc. Are you in a good range? What changes to your life style do you need to make in order to be in the good range? Find out at what age your mother entered menopause. Does anyone in your family have heart disease, etc. When we are aware of some of the health issues that our family members have, we can be on the look out for symptoms and possibly prevent some of them happening to us.
- Get an annual mammogram. This is vital!!! If you have not have a mammogram within the past 12 months, schedule one today. Breast cancer is something when caught early, is treatable and highly curable. Mammograms are mostly painless and only take a few minutes of your time and they can save your life.
- Get your beauty rest. Getting a good nights sleep is something that I have struggle with every since my youngest child was born. I do not know if it was all of the pressure of have three young children and trying to run a business at the same time but I have had insomnia for years. Last year, I switched family doctors and made some personal life changes and I am happy to say, my sleep has greatly improved. If you are struggling with this issue, get some help. Sleep is vital to our mental and emotional health. It is much easier to be nice and kind to others when you are not tired!!
- Wear sunscreen. While that sunshine feels so good, remember to put on some sunscreen daily. You can find moisturizers with sunscreen built right in them. I generally use the Mary Kay products but your local drug store has a great variety and selection. Find the one that works best for you and use daily.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Have you ever heard the saying that you will become who you hang out with. If you hang out with people that have poor attitudes, feel they can never get ahead or complain more than they praise, you may need to find a few new friends.
- Enjoy yourself with some personal time. I like to call this Me Time. Me Time is just a period of time during the day when you do something for yourself. As women, we are always doing things for other and for our own well being, a little time for ourselves it necessary. For some Me Time tips, CLICK HERE.
Taking care of ourselves is important. We only get one chance to do this thing called “Life” and let’s do it well! Do you have any additional tips on taking care of yourself after 40. Please share in the comment section below.
If you do not want to miss a post, CLICK HERE to subscribe to my blog and newsletter through email.