We have been blessed with three daughters. Daughter #1 enjoys cooking dinners. Daughter #3 enjoys cooking treats and desserts. Daughter #2 is like her mamma and enjoys eating Daughter #1 and #3’s food! Guess which daughter made these yummy sticky buns? Daughter #3 is the winner today!
If Daughter #3 is bored, she will get out the 3 inch thick old school cookbook and find some complicated recipe in there that she wants to make. When she wants to do this, I usually just say try something just a little bit easier. She will then take a recipe and adjust it some so it is easier for her to work with and then calls them her “creations”. This past week, she got creative and made this fabulous Caramel Sticky Bun recipe and I wanted to share it with you. These did not last very long around our house and I had rush to get the pictures taken. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
There are a few steps and ingredients for these because they are made from scratch but they are worth it!
Caramel Sticky Buns
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 cup milk
- 5 T butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 T softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for the topping:
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan
- 1/4 warm water
- 1/4 powder sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Heat milk to 120 degrees, add butter.
- Stir milk into flour mixture until well combined
- Add eggs one at a time
- Add remaining flour until a soft dough forms
- Knead dough 7-8 minutes
- Set dough aside in warm location until it doubles in size
- In small sauce pan, combine butter, brown sugar, water, powder sugar.
- Heat until just below boiling and sugar is melted
- Pour into greased 9X13 pan.
- Sprinkle pecans evenly over mixture and set aside
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and roll out into a 18×15 inch rectangle
- Brush melted butter over dough surface.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over dough
- Starting on short side, roll dough jelly roll style pinching seams to secure
- Cut dough role into 12 even slices and place in pan
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes until golden brown
- Removed from oven and let sit for one minute.
- Either use a nice plate or cover a pan with foil and invert rolls onto pan
- CAUTION: Caramel is very hot and can burn
- Let rolls sit for 5 minutes before serving.